Having qualified as a solicitor in Northern Ireland in 1999, Chris moved from Belfast to London in 2011 and, prior to joining Stepien Lake in 2017, Chris previously worked with two other firms in central London. As well as being qualified to practise in England and Wales, he is also on the Roll of Solicitors in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Chris became a partner at Stepien Lake in April 2020.
As an experienced property development solicitor with a strong track record in the renewable energy sector, Chris acts for leading property developers and investors in the acquisition, disposal and development of residential and commercial property and also advises on all landlord and tenant matters. Chris has acted in the full range of property development transactions, setting-up and overseeing mixed use commercial and residential developments and advising on the acquisition, disposal and letting of brownfield and greenfield sites.
He has also developed expertise in the field of renewable energy and has worked with developers in this sector on all aspects of project assembly, funding, construction and on-going portfolio management of wind, solar and anaerobic digestion projects. He has also acted for clients in the mineral exploration and energy storage industries.
Areas of expertise include:
- Reviewing and negotiating complex multi-party joint venture property development, consortium and option agreements.
- Reviewing and negotiating Section 106 agreements.
- Advising on environmental and planning legislation.
- Negotiating appointment documents and warranties for consultants on construction projects.
- Leading teams of lawyers and paralegals in all aspects of due diligence and acquisition/disposal of large portfolios of properties as diverse as retail units, residential dwellings and windfarms.
- Advising clients in the renewable energy sector on matters relating to landowner negotiation, infrastructure supply, construction, power purchase and re-powering.